MLK National Day of Service, Coastal Texas Study, It’s a Microbial World, Tree Planting Events, Seed Cleaning & Packing Party, Green Jobs, and more
The Martin Luther King Jr. holiday on Jan. 20, 2020, marks the 25th anniversary of the national day of service that celebrates the Civil Rights leader’s life and legacy. Observed each year on the third Monday in January as “a day on, not a day off,” MLK Day is the only federal holiday designated as a national day of service to encourage all Americans to volunteer to improve their communities.
Local environmental groups in the Houston region offer a vast array of opportunities to volunteer and to serve our community. Not sure where to start? In addition to finding volunteer opportunities here in our newsletter or at CEC’s online calendar, check out these resources for finding local environmental volunteering opportunities:
- VolunteerHouston.org–opportunities with CEC and several of its member organizations, including Buffalo Bayou Partnership, Willow Waterhole Greenspace Conservancy, Mercer Botanic Garden, TWRC Wildlife Center, Memorial Park Conservancy, Nature Discovery Center, Recipe for Success, Armand Bayou Nature Center, BikeHouston, Galveston Bay Foundation, Hermann Park Conservancy, and the Houston Chapter of the Native Prairies Association of Texas.
- VolunteerMatch.org–Many organizations, including most of the above, also post opportunities on this national site, where you can search for both local and virtual opportunities.
- Allforgood.org, a service of the Points of Light volunteer organization.
- EarthShare of Texas provides, among other things, suggestions for corporate volunteer groups.
- CECHouston.org–Volunteer with CEC! In 2019, dozens of volunteers contributed almost 2000 hours of their time helping with everything from this newsletter to selecting films for our upcoming film festival to board service. We are also recruiting volunteers for Earth Day Houston, to be held on Sunday, April 19, 2020, at Discovery Green.
Among our favorite calls are inquiries about volunteer opportunities; with a community of almost 150 member organizations, CEC can suggest great volunteer opportunities for everyone. If you are new to town or new to environmental volunteering, please get in touch.
Scroll down to read notes from our member organizations and the community, or view the emailed version of the newsletter, which includes a green job listing.
Wild & Scenic Film Festival on Tour
If you’re looking for a fun, indoor activity in January, consider the Wild and Scenic Film Festival at the River Oaks Theatre on January 28 and 29, 2020. Festival tickets are now on sale through Eventbrite.
Hosted by the Citizens’ Environmental Coalition, this increasingly popular film fest features ten short films, showcasing subjects ranging from fishing bats, to boys with butterflies, to girls on glaciers. Different films show each night; purchase a pass to see them all.
The festival tells local environmental stories, highlights the work of CEC member organizations, and inspires our community to make a difference in the environment and quality of life. Each night, a different local film will be shown that was chosen by the audience of our Wild About Houston Green Film Festival. This year’s winning videos are from the Environmental Defense Fund, Houston Parks Board, and Buffalo Bayou Partnership.
Please help us promote the festival by sharing our Facebook event page.
We are thankful for our additional sponsors: Hydroshack, Texas Coastal Exchange, Lower Brazos Riverwatch, Friends of Woodland Park, Cacao and Cardamom, McMac CX, The Nature Conservancy, Americas’, Veritex Bank, Armand Bayou Nature Center, Houston BCycle, Vossos Landscape Design, Buffalo Bayou Partnership, Asakura Robinson and One Breath Partnership
Earth Day Houston: Exhibitor Registration now available
Earth Day Houston, part of the 50th worldwide observance, will be held at Discovery Green on Sunday, April 19, 2020.
- Volunteer opportunities are available at earthdayhouston.org/volunteer/.
- Register to exhibit! Early registration through December 31.
- Learn about sponsorship opportunities!
Scroll down to read notes from our member organizations and the community, or view the emailed version of the newsletter, which includes a green job listing.Continue reading