American Hiking Society seeks Programs Support Coordinator
American Hiking Society is currentlyÂ seeking a part-time Programs Support Coordinator.Â The Programs Support Coordinator is aÂ part-time, salaried, non-exempt position working 20 hours per week.Â This is aÂ remote positionÂ and we areÂ accepting candidates from any of the United States with the exception of CA and WA. If candidates are geographically located near the Silver Spring, MD corporate office, there is an option of partial in-office work as well.
American Hiking Society
Founded in 1976 and serving as the only national voice of the hiking community, American Hiking Society (AHS) lives out its mission of Empowering all to enjoy, share, and preserve the hiking experience through grassroots and grasstops advocacy and trail stewardship. We envision a world where everyone feels welcome in the American hiking community and has permanent access to meaningful hiking, including urban, frontcountry, and backcountry opportunities. We will achieve this vision by advocating for the protection and expansion of hiking spaces, fostering trail stewardship, and collaborating with partners whose strengths are complementary. We provide an exciting, creative, and professional yet relaxed nonprofit atmosphere with a strong outdoor and conservation ethic.
Our trail service programs include week-long trips based all over the country includingÂ Alternative BreakÂ (for students) andÂ Volunteer VacationsÂ (all ages) for all trail service experience levels; and American Hiking Societyâ€™sÂ National Trails DayÂ®,a national day of advocacy and trail service on the 1st Saturday in June, involving 1000+ events and more than 100,000 participants. Our advocacy programs include the year-longÂ NextGen Trail LeadersÂ program that engages 18-40 year old rising leaders in conservation and justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion who participate in advocacy campaigns, andÂ Hike the HillÂ®, an annual advocacy fly-in in Washington, D.C., organized in collaboration with the Partnership for the National Trail System that brings together 150+ trail organizations and advocates.Â Â Â
The Programs Support Coordinatorâ€™s primary responsibilities support the logistics of AHS volunteer programs and National Trails Dayâ“‡ event management, continuing to build and maintain strong collaborations and relationships with volunteers, schools, partner organizations, and land managers that host AHS volunteers and events. The Programs Support Coordinator not only has great attention to detail in volunteer management and event logistics, but exhibits empathy and excellent interpersonal skills in relationship building.
The Programs Support Coordinator is a part-time, salaried, non-exempt position working 20 hours per week. This is aremote position and we are accepting candidates from any of the United States with the exception of CA and WA. If candidates are geographically located near the Silver Spring, MD corporate office, there is an option of partial in-office work as well. The Programs Support Coordinator reports to the Senior Director for Programs and Advocacy, while working in partnership with and receiving guidance from the Programs Manager of volunteer programs and under the direction of the Communications Manager for National Trails Dayâ“‡-related tasks.
Volunteer Programs Support (Includes Volunteer Vacations and Alternative Breaks)
- Support various aspects of project logistics among volunteer participants, including volunteer recruitment, phone and email communications with volunteers, responding to volunteer inquiries, and post-trip evaluations.
- In support of the Programs Manager, coordinate aspects of the participant registration process, including creating confirmation documents, ensuring complete volunteer registration forms, database entry, and creating, updating, and finalizing trip rosters.
- Track and report all volunteer hours and other program statistics for use in organizational reports and funding opportunities.
- Support Programs Manager in development of a web-based trip schedule each year, managing online registration, and responding to registration inquiries.
- Assist Communications and Programs Managers with the creation of content for all VV/AB-related webpages.
- Work with the Communications Manager and Programs Manager to develop content ideas and timelines for all VV/AB related social media posts.
- Assist the Communications and Programs Managers to develop all program promotional materials.
National Trails DayÂ® Event Support
- Oversee the logistics of National Trails DayÂ® (NTD) event registration, including recruitment, coordination, and communication with event hosts.
- Work with other AHS staff to ensure in-kind donations are distributed to NTD hosts in a timely manner.
- Work with the Development Coordinator and Communications Manager to secure products and gear for volunteers. Support coordination and distribution of gear to volunteers, collect photos and testimonials, and provide all gear sponsors and partners with usable content from NTD events.
- Assist the Communications Manager with NTD signature event and grants event support.
- Manage communications with NextGen Trail Leaders in regard to coordinating/promoting NTD events they may be hosting and/or attending, collect photos and testimonials
Advocacy Programs Management
- As needed, support logistical needs of Hike the Hillâ“‡ registration and assist the Senior Director for Programs and Advocacy with other aspects of Hike the Hillâ“‡ event logistics.
- Commitment to follow AHS Values and AHSâ€™s Commitment to the Hiking Community a must
- 1+ years professional work experience, volunteer experience, or education that contributes to the knowledge needed to ably fulfill the duties listed above, especially experience in engaging with volunteers and event recruitment
- Experience in Volunteer Management and Recruitment is a plus.
- Experience in Nationwide Event Management and Recruitment is a plus.
- Strong computer skills are a must and experience with database/CRM data entry preferred (or demonstrated ability to learn that skill quickly)
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and a developing knowledge of Excel
- Tremendous attention to detail with the ability to maintain accuracy
- Ability to follow through on projects and ensure completion of projects and to-do lists
- A collegial attitude with strong communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to work both independently with light supervision and as part of a team
- Customer service mindset
- If local to corporate office: ability to occasionally lift and move 15 lbs.
Salary and Benefits
- The starting salary range for this position is $23,895 â€“ $25,555. To ensure equity, the salary is determined by a formula based on experience within set salary ranges for each position level and is non-negotiable.
- Paid holidays if regularly scheduled to work them.
- Generous vacation and sick leave within the first year of hire.
- Two Hike Days and a day off annually to volunteer.
- Discounts on outdoor gear.
- Flexible work hours within time ranges agreed upon with the Senior Director of Programs and Advocacy.
- Strong culture of work-life balance and valuing mental and physical health of employees.
Please send the following items to Josh Bruegger, Head of Finance and Administration, at email@example.com with Programs Support Coordinator and your first and last name in the subject line:
- Email of interest
- Weekly Hours Availability; and
- How you heard about this position
Resumes will be accepted until September 19th or until filled. American Hiking Society is an equal opportunity employer.
JOB TYPE: Part-Time, Salaried, Nonexempt
LOCATION: Fully Remote with option for partial in-office for candidates geographically near the Silver Spring, MD corporate office
HOURS: 20 hours per week, Flexible between the hours of 8:00 a.m. â€“ 5:00 p.m. EST during the Monday â€“ Friday work week.