Commission Shift seeks Voter Mobilization Strategy Consultant Request for Proposals
Contract range: $30,000 – $50,000 from contract start date through Nov. 2024 Location: Must be located in Texas.
Expected Hours: 5 – 10 hours/week.
Application deadline: September 18, 2023 or until the position is filled
About Commission Shift and Commission Shift Action
Commission Shift is a fast-growing Texas-based 501(c)(3) non-profit founded in March 2021. Our mission is to reform oil and gas oversight by building public support to hold the Railroad Commission of Texas accountable to its mission in a shifting energy landscape.
Commission Shift Action, the 501(c)(4) advocacy partner of Commission Shift, mobilizes the public to hold the Railroad Commission of Texas accountable to its mission through legislative involvement and voter education and empowerment.
The Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC) is one of the most important oil and gas regulators in the world. Contrary to what its name implies, the Railroad Commission has no authority over railroads. Instead, the agency oversees oil and gas development, coal and uranium mining, and gas utility service in Texas, among other functions. Its mission is to serve Texas through stewardship of natural resources and the environment, concern for personal and community safety, and support of enhanced development and economic vitality for the benefit of Texans.
Commission Shiftâ€™s goal is to build broad public support from a wide array of stakeholder voices to advance changes at the RRC that improve the agencyâ€™s function, transparency, and accountability to people and places impacted by the oil and gas industry. Too often, the Commission has promoted accelerated development of oil and gas over all other parts of its mission — to the detriment of natural resources and the environment, safety, and economic vitality.
Learn more about Commission Shift by visiting our website, www.commissionshift.org.
Commission Shift is seeking a seasoned electoral campaign strategist to develop and execute a non-partisan Get Out To Vote (GOTV) campaign focused on the Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC) election. More than half of Texas voters donâ€™t know that the Railroad Commission of Texas oversees oil and gas development and this campaign will help to change that.
The Voter Mobilization Strategy Consultant will work closely with the Organizing Director, Voter Mobilization Program Coordinator, and communications team to develop an overall outreach strategy to reach a broad base of potential voters using non-partisan outreach and education tactics and language. The consultant will provide strategic analysis on key locations that should be targeted for voter outreach, using non-partisan metrics compliant within 501(c)(3) nonprofit boundaries. Additionally, the consultant will design and execute candidate forums for RRC candidates from all political parties for the March 2024 primaries and/or the November 2024 general election, with the goal of ensuring that audience turnout fully represents all political parties.
- Provide strategic advice for co-designing a nonpartisan GOTV strategy that will be applied throughout the state of Texas by Commission Shiftâ€™s Voter Mobilization Program Coordinator.
- Identify key metrics that will indicate success of a Commission Shift GOTV program.
- Collaborate with Commission Shiftsâ€™s communications team, strategy consultant, and digital consultants to design multimedia materials and digital campaigns to educate voters on the importance of the Railroad Commission race.
- Design and execute candidate forums for RRC candidates from all political parties for the March 2024 primaries and the November 2024 general election, with the goal of ensuring that audience turnout fully represents all political parties.
- Monitor RRC election landscape and propose improvements and updates for future voter education activities.
- Connect Commission Shift to relevant organizations and individuals for the purpose of organizing candidate forums, coordinating presentations that will be executed by the Voter Mobilization Program Coordinator, and including questions about the RRC in polls and candidate surveys.
- Remain non-partisan when interacting with organizations and potential voters, and maintain a neutral stance on the various candidates.
Desired qualifications, not required
- 10 years of professional experience in GOTV organizing, mass communications, political campaign organizing, or a related field.
- Familiarity or experience with advocacy software like EveryAction, and Voter Action Network (VAN).
- Experience organizing volunteers, working on a political campaign, and/or leading public awareness and engagement campaigns for 501(c)3 nonpartisan non profit organizations.
- Experience with the Texas political landscape, or experience working on political campaigns in Texas.
- Experience using social media for public education and advocacy campaigns, or working with digital media consultants to develop such campaigns.
- Experience planning major events and drawing audiences from across political spectrums.
- Knowledge of or experience with the Railroad Commission of Texasâ€™ duties, and election cycle.
- Familiarity with Texas climate change and energy issues.
- Relationships with one or more of the following stakeholder groups:landowners, workers rights advocates or labor unions, public education advocates, business leaders, consumer or ratepayer advocates, economic development leaders or entities.
- Respectful and empathetic of individuals and groups coming from a variety of backgrounds and viewpoints (e.g. progressive or conservative; rural or urban; educated or uneducated; across races, ethnicities, and genders).
- Familiarity of oil and gas locations, including understanding of diverse cultures and languages spoken.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Attention to detail, maintains organized electronic files, and manages time and expectations with respect to deadlines.
How to submit a proposal
Send a cover letter and a resume (no more than two pages) to Dr. Maria A. Reyes, email@example.comÂ with the subject â€œVoter Mobilization Strategy Consultant Proposal.â€Â Prepare to provide three professional references and a writing sample upon request. The writing sample could be a speech/testimony, an opinion article or blog post, social media content, or other similar document.
Commitment to Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
Commission Shift believes that corporate and institutional bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society â€” including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and people with disabilities. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of marginalized communities that are not listed here.
Commission Shift is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.