Houston Botanic Garden seeks Gardener
The Houston Botanic Garden is seeking a Gardener who will be responsible for assisting the Horticulture team in irrigation and horticulture maintenance. The ideal candidate is an energetic gardener interested in hands-on projects in all of our gardens – Susan Garver Family Discovery Garden, Global Collection Garden, and Culinary Garden – and natural ecosystems, including Stormwater Wetlands and a Coastal Prairie. This multi-faceted position will also involve assisting with preparation for volunteer horticulture workdays.
Main Job Responsibilities:
- Irrigation repair, installation and trouble shooting
- Equipment maintenance
- Special projects relating to Horticulture or other Garden events
Work on a rotating basis with staff horticulturists to achieve the following:
- Blowing paths
- Other tasks as assigned
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- 1-2 years of experience with irrigation repair preferred but not required.
- High school diploma.
- Some experience with gardening or plant care preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work in all types of weather typical in Houston.
- Experience and confidence in operating horticulture equipment and machines.
- Position subject to passing a criminal background check.
- HBG Horticulture has a 7 day a week schedule and at least one weekend workday will be required.
Ideal Candidates will also possess:
- Ability to be flexible and thrive in a dynamic garden setting.
- Confidence and self-reliance to get the job done.
- Demonstrated passion for plants and the natural environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others.
- Positive, can-do attitude and willingness to “roll up sleeves.”
This position requires physical work: frequent standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, reaching, carrying, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 80 pounds, under hot, cold, windy and/or rainy weather conditions.
Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision insurance; retirement savings match; short-term disability; long-term disability; and life insurance available.
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact those candidates who most closely match our requirements.