Houston Botanic Garden seeks Event Assistant
The mission of the Houston Botanic Garden is to enrich life through discovery, education, and conservation of plants and the natural environment. HBG is a recently completed botanic garden that strives to inspire all people to love plants and be good stewards of the natural world. The gardens include a global garden with arid, sub-tropical, and tropical plants; a culinary garden with permanent and seasonal displays; a family garden centered around a lagoon; a woodland event garden; wetlands; and a coastal prairie on a 132-acre site.
The Garden is seeking a seasonal Event Assistant who will report to the Director of Private Events. The ideal candidate is passionate about customer service; has experience in vendor relations and event management; demonstrates strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills; and desires to work in a dynamic organization in a stage of rapid growth.
Main Job Responsibilities:
- Act as garden liaison with each party and vendor, facilitating clear communication and
- smooth event execution.
- Complete set-up and breakdown for internal and external events.
- Actively monitor vendors during set-up and strike.
- Ensure that events begin and conclude according to the event schedule.
- Ensure that the Garden’s policies and procedures are upheld during events.
- Assist with Garden opening and closing procedures.
- Respond to event rental questions and the online event inquiry form.
- Assist with furniture inventory.
- Provide additional support to the events department, as needed.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma required, some college preferred.
- Proven work experience in events.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a variety of audiences.
- Must be comfortable working with crowds.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations and help resolve event conflicts with tact and courtesy.
- Must be able to work in outdoor weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift event items (chairs, boxes, signs, etc.).
- Flexibility to work in the evenings and/or on weekends.
- Position subject to passing a criminal background check.
Schedule and Salary:
- Seasonal, hourly position. Weekends and some evenings
- Hourly wage of $15/hour.
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will contact those candidates who most closely match our requirements.