Green Star seeks Native Plant Technician
Green Star Wetland Plant Farm LLC is based in Alvin TX, 30 miles south of Houston. We provide native wetland plants for wetland restoration, green infrastructure, and landscape projects. Our company is five years old, and rooted in 20 years’ experience in wetland plant propagation and landscape design. Green Star plants can be seen at Houston Botanic Garden, Memorial Park Eastern Glades, Houston Zoo’s Texas Wetland Exhibit, and other sites across Texas. Our mission: We are dedicated to providing excellent wetland plant stock to regenerate the beauty and function of wetlands for Texas and the Gulf Coast. The address is 4646 CR 181, Alvin, TX 77511.
Green Star has an opening for a full time (40 hours/wk) Native Plant Technician. The ideal candidate will be able to think and operate independently but relate and communicate well with others, and is passionate about working in nature to improve the environment. On the job training will be provided.
The Native Plant Technician responsibilities include:
• Assist in plant propagation tasks as part of a team, including field-collecting plants onsite and offsite, propagating, maintaining healthy stocks, and preparing plants for delivery.
• Harvest, prepare and store seed, both wild-collected and nursery-grown, as part of a team.
• Assist in planting wetland sites and assist with wetland site maintenance.
• Farm maintenance including mowing and line trimming, removing invasive species, and keeping farm equipment and tools in good working order.
• Other related tasks as needed.
Education and experience:
• A High School diploma or GED is required. A degree in Ecology, Biology, Natural Resource Management, Horticulture, or similar, is preferred. Two years demonstrated experience in outdoor maintenance work in a farm, park, or similar setting is preferred.
• Experience and familiarity with Texas native plants, including wetland plants, is a bonus. Training will be provided.
• Proficiency in Spanish is a bonus.
• Must be able to work outdoors including the extremes of summer and winter.
• Ability to personally lift and drag loads up to 50 pounds, and repetitive lifting of lighter loads, is required.
• Must have tolerance of wet and muddy conditions.
• Ability to walk two miles is a must.
• Ability to commute to the farm in Alvin and to job sites is a must.
• Saturday or evening hours may occasionally be required on rotation.
• This full time position has a wage of $15 per hour. Paid Time Off and Sick Leave accrue hourly, and full time employees receive 4 paid holidays.
• Valid State driver’s license is required.
• TX Herbicide Applicator license is a bonus
• United States (Required)
• Green Star is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
If you would like to apply for this position, please submit a resume and brief cover letter stating why you are interested in working at Green Star to Mary Carol Edwards, firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest!