Houston Botanic Garden seeks Social Media Coordinator
The mission of the Houston Botanic Garden is to enrich life through discovery, education, and conservation of plants and the natural environment. Opened in September 2020, the Garden strives to inspire all people to love plants and be good stewards of the natural world.
The Houston Botanic Garden is seeking a social media coordinator who will report to the Director of Communications & Community Engagement and will be responsible for supporting the development of the Garden’s social media strategy in order to increase its online presence and enhance marketing efforts. The ideal candidate is highly organized, demonstrates strong critical thinking and problem solving skills, is skilled in developing relationships both internally and externally, and desires to work in a dynamic organization in a stage of rapid growth.
Main Job Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Director of Communications & Community Engagement to implement and manage social media strategy.
- Create and maintain weekly social media calendar.
- Manage day-to-day posting and all follower engagement and correspondence across Garden’s social media accounts.
- Work with horticulture and education departments to ensure content is informative, scientifically accurate, and on brand.
- Identify, track, and report on most important and relevant KPIs to measure success of digital marketing efforts.
- Capture and manage library of video clips and photos of plant collections, exhibitions, visitors, volunteers, events, etc. for use in engaging social posts and other marketing materials.
- Create and customize marketing templates in accordance with current Garden brand standards.
- Manage routine updates to content on Garden’s website.
- Provide operational support at events, both on and off-site.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Work experience relevant to social media strategy and a minimum of 2 years demonstrated success using social media – Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter – to generate impressions and increase brand awareness.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills with diverse audiences.
- Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail and multitasking skills.
- Flexibility to occasionally work in the evenings and/or on weekends.
- Ability and willingness to travel locally as needed; valid Texas driver’s license and requisite auto insurance.
- Position subject to passing a criminal background check.
Ideal Candidates will also possess:
- Graphic design skills, with proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience using a variety of camera types to capture still photos and videos, as well as familiarity with basic video editing.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- High level of attention to detail, accuracy, and thoroughness.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others.
- Ability to be flexible and thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Resourcefulness and creativity in problem solving.
- A positive, can-do attitude and willingness to “roll-up sleeves.”
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in both English and Spanish.
Schedule and Salary:
- Hourly compensation commensurate with experience.
- Part-time, to start, with possibility to grow into a nonexempt, full-time position.
- Hours can be flexible to meet the needs of the right candidate; some remote work a possibility, with at least 50% of hours being in person.
- Position requires some availability in evenings and on weekends for events.
Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings match, short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance available for full-time positions.
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact those candidates who most closely match our requirements.