Houston Botanic Garden seeks Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
The mission of the Houston Botanic Garden is to enrich life through discovery, education, and conservation of plants and the natural environment. Opened in September 2020, the Garden strives to inspire all people to love plants and be good stewards of the natural world.
The Houston Botanic Garden is seeking a volunteer engagement coordinator who will report to the Director of Communications & Community Engagement and will be responsible for coordinating the recruitment, training, development, and stewardship of our volunteer base. The ideal candidate is highly organized, demonstrates strong critical thinking and problem solving skills, is skilled in developing relationships both internally and externally, and desires to work in a dynamic organization in a stage of rapid growth.
Main Job Responsibilities:
- Drive volunteer recruitment, orientation, screening, and training to grow the Gardenâ€™s volunteer base.
- Maintain accurate records and provide timely statistics and activity reports on volunteer participation.
- Work collaboratively with all departments to ensure volunteers have meaningful experiences that contribute to the operations of the Garden.
- Develop and run volunteer appreciation program.
- Develop standards of volunteer service and manage volunteer policies and procedures.
- Evaluate all aspects of volunteer programs to ensure effectiveness and recommend/implement changes as appropriate.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Work experience relevant to volunteer management and a minimum of 2 years demonstrated success managing projects and teams
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills with diverse audiences
- Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Flexibility to occasionally work in the evenings and/or on weekends
- Ability and willingness to travel locally as needed; valid Texas driver’s license and requisite auto insurance
- Position subject to passing a criminal background check
Ideal Candidates will also possess:
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- High level of attention to detail, accuracy, and thoroughness
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others
- Ability to be flexible and thrive in a dynamic environment
- Resourcefulness and creativity in problem solving
- A positive, can-do attitude and willingness to “roll-up sleeves”
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in both English and Spanish.
Schedule and Salary:
- Hourly compensation commensurate with experience.
- Part-time, to start, with possibility to grow into a nonexempt, full-time position.
- Hours can be flexible to meet the needs of the right candidate; some remote work a possibility, with at least 50% of hours being in person.
- Position requires some availability in evenings and on weekends for volunteer events.
Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings match, short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance available for full-time positions.
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will contact those candidates who most closely match our requirements