Mercer Botanic Gardens seeks Education and Volunteer Coordinator Assistant
Works with education director and volunteer coordinator on specialized programs and projects for Mercer Botanic Gardens.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Expand Mercer education and volunteer programs through outreach, children, and family programming, and working with volunteers, staff, and The Mercer Society (TMS).
- Schedule and manage outreach at offsite events such as Earth Day, Azalea Trail, and other nature and plant related events.
- Work time may include weekends and evenings.
- Recruit and schedule volunteers for outreach and TMS annual events including March Mart, the Garden Party, Pollinator Festival, conferences, and educational programs.
- Coordinate with the education director for specialized docent and children’s tour training. Develop and implement visual aids and slide presentations.
- Coordinate and present volunteer training orientations. Recruit docent volunteers for tours, Story Time, and other programming.
- Conduct tours.
- Assist the education director with children and family programming, including training of volunteers who work with children.
- Use data entry skills and knowledge of Word and Excel to assist the volunteer coordinator with records databases.
- Coordinate and schedule volunteers for events and maintain an online volunteer records database. Work with Mercer staff and TMS in coordination of special events.
- Attend TMS event planning meetings and work alongside volunteers at most TMS events to include evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Assist in creating graphics, educational content, including events, on social media such as Facebook and Instagram.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- A minimum of one (1) to three (3) years of experience and/or training providing administrative support within a service organization or office environment, with emphasis on volunteer programs and activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Good oral and written communication skills are mandatory.
- Ability to speak effectively before large groups of people.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating/ maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Working knowledge of computers and related software programs comprised of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Must also possess the following skills:
- Strong public relations skills.
- Experienced and patient working with the public.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently.
- Good observation and organizational skills.
- Experience in creating content on social media outlets such as Facebook and Instagram is desired.
Position Type and Typical Hours of Work
- Full-time Monday – Friday
- 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- (With 30-minute lunch)
- Weekends and after hours required as needed for special events and activities.
- The incumbent may spend long hours indoors, sitting, and using office equipment/computers.
- The incumbent may also work outdoors in hot, cold, humid, and wet weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: stand; walk;
- sit; use hands and fingers, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; see, talk, hear, taste, and smell.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Employment is contingent upon passing a background check and drug screen.