The Citizens’ Environmental Coalition is an alliance of diverse nonprofit, governmental, and educational organizations whose activities impact our environment and quality of life in the Houston-Galveston area. The CEC was incorporated in 1971, after a group of visionary citizens hosted the first Earth Day in Houston in 1970. The CEC’s mission is to foster dialogue, education, and collaboration on environmental issues in the Houston/Gulf-Coast Region.
In Fall 2021, the intern will assist with implementation of an after-school environmental education program at one Pasadena ISD middle/intermediate school. This program is managed by CEC in partnership with Galveston Bay Foundation and Artist Boat. Students will learn about Galveston Bay through guest speakers and outdoor activities. Students will help plan and implement a service project on campus. They will help paint a mural to be displayed in the community.
The intern will be expected to assist with and attend all aspects of this project, including:
- Two-day professional development workshop for teachers on August 4 & 5, 2021 (optional)
- Four field trips for middle schoolers the week of August 9, 2021 (preferred)
- Assist students in planning a symposium in December 2021
- Book five guest speakers
- Coordinate materials
- Be on-site at the middle school two days a week from about 4 – 7 p.m. starting the week of August 29 and ending the week of December 6, 2021. Opportunities to continue in the spring semester may be available.
We encourage applicants from all backgrounds and we employ a culturally diverse staff. Reliable transportation is a must. Pay $15/hour, up to 180 hours.
- Desire to learn more about the teaching profession
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong work ethic
- Professional demeanor in person, by email, and on the phone
- Ability to successfully interact with a wide variety of internal and external individuals
- Computer and internet skills, including knowledge of Google Apps and Microsoft Office and preferably website development, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Reliable transportation; valid driver’s license preferred
Skills to be learned or enhanced:
- How to be a teacher
- How a nonprofit works and contributes to the community
- Establishing community relationships
- Networking relationships with environmental non-profit organizations in the region
Email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.