Air Alliance Houston, which works works to research air quality challenges, educate residents about the impact of air quality on public health, and advocate for solutions to support healthy communities, is seeking a Communications Coordinator. Among other duties, the Communications Coordinator will assist with the development and implementation of a communications plan and support AAH’s work as a partner in the One Breath Partnership to engage community ambassadors. For more information, including full duties, qualifications, and application instructions, visit airalliancehouston.org.
Air Alliance Houston is hiring a part-time (20 hours per/week) Transportation Advocate to begin expansion of AAH’s advocacy on non-Port of Houston-related transportation advocacy. We are looking for an advocate who will be responsible for:
• advocating for greater integration of health considerations into our regional transportation planning decisions (e.g. build support for health impact assessments for projects such as the proposed I-45 expansion.)
• submitting public comments regarding air quality concerns in response to draft environmental impact statements
• attending regional transportation planning meetings to raise awareness about the air quality and public health implications of proposed projects
• assisting with the development of state legislative policy priorities for transportation and work with elected officials to draft supportive legislation
• assisting with development of campaigns, including performing background research and developing policy solutions
• building relationships with other organizations and community groups to develop strategies, leverage resources, and build a broad base of support for our campaigns
• identifying additional sources of funding to continue AAH transportation advocacy efforts beyond the one year period (e.g. grant writing, fundraising)
For more information, including position summary and responsibilities, qualifications, and application instructions, visit airalliancehouston.org.
Air Alliance Houston is the Houston region’s leading environmental health and air quality nonprofit. Our mission is to reduce air pollution in the Houston region to protect public health and environmental integrity through research, education and advocacy. We are seeking a motivated individual to teach our three educational cross collaborative lesson plans.
The Teaching Artist will work independently and in conjunction with Air Alliance staff on ongoing programs and new initiatives. Our existing programs require skillful program management, attendance at stakeholder and community meetings, and support of educational and outreach activities.
This position will encompass a broad range of issues that includes public health, quality of life, community relations, grassroots outreach, education, written and oral advocacy, and organizing. Intellectual and professional flexibility between fields and disciplines is required, but experience in all of these fields is not.
- Some local travel in and around the Houston area is required. Working evenings and/or weekends will be required periodically.
- Some administrative support in coordination with other Air Alliance Houston staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Superior communication skills—oral and written—are a must. A successful Teaching Artist is able to communicate effectively.
- Close vision with or without corrective lenses necessary for computer work.
- Ability to perform assigned duties in a time-efficient manner.
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license.
- Two to three years experience in the education field.
- Experience with school schedules and time keeping.
- Spanish language fluency is highly desired, but not required.
- Experience with web administration and management, including social media, is desirable.
Air Alliance Houston is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political belief, age, gender, sexual orientation, or class. People of color and indigenous people are strongly encouraged to apply. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. Interested applicants should send complete resume and cover letter to [email protected].