Harris County seeks Stormwater Quality Plan Reviewer
The Stormwater Quality Plan Reviewer works as a team member in support of the Watershed Protection Group and performs a technical review of engineered and non-engineered plans to determine compliance with Harris County stormwater regulations. The position is focused on protecting water quality in Harris County.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Department: Engineering Department
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primary activities are focused on the regulation of land development to ensure it meets the provisions of the Clean Water Act, state laws, and local regulations.
- Duties shall include, but are not limited to, reviewing construction plans to ensure compliance with applicable local, state, and federal regulations, communicating detailed instructions relative to permitting, ensuring compliance with the applicable minimum design criteria, performing data entry of the requirements related to the issuance of permits, and communicating with the public by telephone, email, and in person to inform them of specific aspects of the regulations.
- As workload allows, the Stormwater Quality Plan Reviewer may also assist with compliance efforts.
- At times, the Stormwater Quality Plan Reviewer may be asked to assist with other duties, such as assisting with disaster recovery planning and/or operations for the County.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. equivalent, and; a minimum of one (1) years’ experience in a technical field involving engineered design plans, construction, inspection, or the environment
- Associate degree in a technical or environmental field
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or environmental field, or ability to obtain within 12 months.
- Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) of the 12 series 12B, 12C, 12E or similar MOS types and a minimum rank of E-5 may be considered to replace experience requirements. (To qualify, military experience and rank must be clearly documented on your application employment history.)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with the public
- Basic computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and quick ability to learn department supported application programs shortly after hire
- Capability to perform technical reading and writing
- Ability to collaborate and establish effective working relationships with coworkers, developers, engineers, and the public
- Proficiency in the assessment and prioritization of multiple tasks, projects, and demands
- Initiative and sound independent judgment within areas of responsibility
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge, and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration. “See Resume” will not be accepted for qualifications.Preferences
- B.S. in an Engineering or Environmental related field
- Familiarity with stormwater treatment concepts.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bilingual Spanish and/or Vietnamese a plus!
- Knowledge of technical principles including analyzing basic construction drawings and interpreting regulatory requirements
- Ability to read construction drawings, topographic maps, and civil survey deeds
Position Type and Typical Hours of Work:
- 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. | Monday -Friday
- Subject to Early Mornings, Evenings, Weekends & Holidays as Needed
- Houston, TX
- Commensurate With Experience
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
- This position requires bending, stooping and lifting up to 25 lbs., frequent walking, standing, sitting, reaching, and ascending/descending stairs.
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you need special services or accommodations, please call (713) 274-5445 or email ADACoordinator@bmd.hctx.net.
This position is subject to a criminal history check. Only relevant convictions will be considered and, even when considered, may not automatically disqualify the candidate.