Harris County Office of County Administration seeks Sustainability Analyst
Under general supervision, the Sustainability Analyst will assist in developing and implementing Harris County’s sustainability programs, including the Climate Action Plan for Internal Operations, Clean Energy Strategy, and future climate justice strategies. This position performs advanced analysis and finable capital investments, transformational equity-centered programs, renewable energy infrastructure, and county policies. The Sustainability Analysts will use the conclusions of their analysis to provide robust and forward-thinking recommendations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Energy Analysis and Management: Conducts a thorough assessment of the County’s current energy usage, management protocols, resource allocation plans, and conservation strategies. Benchmarks utility consumption as it relates to energy, production, and water consumption in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager. Performs statistical analysis, including strategic planning, forecasting, cost-benefit analysis, and program evaluation for energy initiatives.
- Reporting: Creates and disseminates administrative, statistical, or narrative reports on the County’s energy efficiency programs; outlines cost savings targets and objectives. Compiles, analyzes, and validates data from various sources, such as department databases, research studies, or government code, to prepare comprehensive written reports, presentations, and data visualizations.
- Emissions Management: Conducts greenhouse gas emissions inventories and tracks progress on carbon reduction goals; demonstrates familiarity with established carbon accounting and reporting standards.
- Financial Management: Participates in the management of the revolving energy efficiency fund, tracking grant funding sources, preparing proposals, and applying for energy rebates and incentives. As well as utilizing financial and energy models to provide recommendations on supply and demand, operating costs, rates, and revenue.
- Sustainability Planning: Develops and evaluates annual sustainability budgets, sustainability projects, and strategic plans. Performs extensive financial modeling in support of key sustainability initiatives.
- Strategic Analysis and Resolution: Addresses and resolves complex issues, utilizing analytical approaches, creativity, and presenting findings to department leadership.
- Policies and Procedures: Develops, analyzes, and reviews departmental policies, procedures, and master plans with short- and long-term objectives; provides recommendations for improvement.
- Other Essential Functions: Completes special projects and other duties as assigned, working on a wide variety of financial, administrative, professional, management, and community issues and challenges.
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you need special services or accommodations, please call (713) 274-5445 or email ADACoordinator@bmd.hctx.net.
This position is subject to a criminal history check. Only relevant convictions will be considered and, even when considered, may not automatically disqualify the candidate.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Public Policy or a related field.
- Two (2) years of directly related work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of data analysis, financial modeling techniques, and economic analysis.
- Highly skilled in preparing and analyzing data, reports, and studies.
- Highly skilled in problem-solving, multitasking, prioritizing, and organizing.
- Highly skilled in using computers and related software applications, including project management applications.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and skills.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, and comprehensive correspondence, reports, studies, and other written materials.
- Ability to establish cooperative and effective working relationships with departments and the staff of elected officials.
- Ability to conduct critical analyses and offer recommendations.
- Ability to develop strategic direction and program implementation collaboratively with various stakeholders.
- Ability to apply forecasting and analytical techniques to calculate and project future energy costs for budgeting purposes.
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge, and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration. “See Resume” will not be accepted for qualifications.General Information
Position Type and Typical Hours of Work:
- Regular Full-time
- Monday – Friday | 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- Occasional weekends, holidays, and overtime may be required based on the specific needs and demands of the department.
- $60,000 – $80,000 Annually
- Depends on Qualifications
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
- Plus, benefits
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- This position is based in an office environment, where the use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, scanners, and filing cabinets is routine.
- The physical demands associated with this job are minimal, with occasional lifting and moving of objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- The role is predominantly sedentary, involving mainly sitting with occasional standing and walking.
- Reports To Position: Director, Sustainability
- Supervises Positions: N/A
Employment may be contingent on passing a drug screen and meeting other standards.
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date or at the discretion of the Hiring Department.