The Houston Parks Board is seeking an Event and Outreach Intern. The Intern will work closely with the Development and Communications teams, and assist the Outreach Manager in duties including administrative support, data entry, inventory documentation, database management, event and outreach support including attendance during evening and weekend events, archive transcription, and other duties. For a full job description, including duties, qualifications and application instructions, visit houstonparksboard.org.
- San Bernard NWR (TXSB): 12/14
- Armand Bayou (TXAY): 12/15
- Brazos Bend (TXBZ): 12/15
- Houston [Baytown] (TXHO): 12/15
- Spring Creek (TXSC): 12/15
- Freeport (TXFR): 12/16
- Central Houston: 12/17
- Matagorda County (TXMM): 12/17
- Galveston (TXGA): 12/18
- Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR (TXAP): 12/19
- Bolivar Peninsula (TXBP): 12/20
- Turkey Creek (TXTC): 12/22
- Sea Rim State Park (TXSR): 12/27
- Trinity River (TXTN): 12/27
- Beech Creek (TXBE): 12/29
- Old River (TXOR): 12/29
- Buffalo Bayou [west Houston] (TXBF): 12/30
- San Jacinto Wilderness (TXSJ): 1/1
- Cypress Creek – Katy Prairie (TXCY): 1/1
- Brazoria-Columbia Bottomlands (TXBR): 1/5
- Huntsville [Walker Co.] (TXHU): 1/5
As you might imagine, the CBC isn’t the only birding opportunity offered by Houston Audubon Society. You can also participate with monthly bird surveys, many of which are held in conjunction with other CEC member organizations, including Armand Bayou Nature Center (2nd Saturdays), Baytown Nature Center (3rd Thursdays Sep-May), Hermann Park (2nd Mondays), Houston Arboretum (3rd Saturdays), Willow Waterhole (3rd Saturdays), and Woodland Park.
- Galveston Island Nature Tourism Council (Holiday with the Cranes is this weekend (but, alas, is already sold out; mark your calendars for next year, Dec. 14-15), and FeatherFest is April 11-14
- Gulf Coast Bird Observatory (monthly bird banding (3rd Saturdays), bird camps, Hawk Watch, and research opportunities)
- Council for Environmental Education / Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies Flying Wild program
- Katy Prairie Conservancy (check out the bird list and wildlife viewing platform)
- Outdoor Nature Club–Ornithology Group
- Sheldon Lake State Park & Environmental Learning Center
- Texas Wildlife Association (many programs for educators)
- TWRC Wildlife Center, especially rehabilitation of native birds
- Wildlife Center of Houston (rehab and an oiled wildlife response program)
- White Oak Bayou Association (especially the Bayou City Birding Zines)
The image above is of a Reddish Egret at the San Bernard National Wildlife Refuge, one of the sites for the upcoming Christmas Bird Counts.
Tickets now available! Wild & Scenic Film Festival on Tour
January 30 & 31, 2019
Join us on January 30 & 31, 2019, for the Wild & Scenic Film Festival On Tour. Continue reading
The Woods Project (TWP) is seeking part-time Club Program Instructors to teach one or more of our weekly afterschool club programs for the 2018-2019 high school year.
The Club Program extends TWP’s mission into the classroom building leadership and life skills through hands-on projects and activities. Utilizing both individual and team-based skills and frameworks, the program breaks down outdoor, social, environmental, and scientific concepts into exciting and hands-on units such as Leave No Trace, camping/backpacking skills, local flora and fauna, conservation, and environmental science.
For a full job description, including duties, qualifications, and application instructions, visit thewoodsproject.org.