Texas Southern University seeks Environmental Journalist/Staff Writer
The Environmental Journalist, Bullard Center for Environmental and Climate Justice is responsible for researching and writing stories that inform environmental justice communities and the general public about environmental issues and promote environmental awareness and action. The Environmental Journalist responsibilities include generating story ideas, conducting interviews, writing articles, and taking photographs.
Job Description Summary / TWC Summary
- Writes stories that inform the public about critical environmental and climate justice concerns and inspire people to take action.
- Develops a network of sources that can provide tips, data, and documents related to environmental journalism.
- Conducts interviews with experts, eyewitnesses, and people affected by environmental and climate issues in communities of color.
- Conducts research on environmental issues using scientific reports, government documents, and other reliable sources. Verifies facts using multiple sources and cross-checking information.
- Writes clearly and concisely, using strong storytelling techniques to engage readers. Takes photographs or videos to accompany articles, when necessary. Works with editors to ensure accuracy and clarity of stories.
- Remains up to date on environmental and climate-related news and developments. Also, adheres to journalistic ethics and standards.
- Attends conferences and events related to environmental journalism.
- Participates in the HBCU Consortium-related conferences, convenings, environmental activism and educational initiatives.
- Performs other job- related duties as assigned.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
Education: Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) in journalism, English, communications, or related field.
Environmental, climate and/or social justice issues impacting.
Developing and writing journalist-style stories that inform the public about critical environmental and climate justice concerns and inspire people to act.
Exhibit good independent, interpersonal, and team working skills to be able to communicate aims, creative approaches, priorities, and concerns of all communication channels of The Bullard Center clearly and concisely.
- Requires 4-5 years professional writing experience with solid portfolio of work.
- Exceptional writing and research skills preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and multitasking ability.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Prolonged standing and/or walking.
- Handling light weight objects.
- Using or carrying equipment.
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work environment that is free from discrimination for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, individuals with disability, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its programs, activities, admissions or employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is strictly observed in all University employment-related activities such as advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment training, compensation, promotion, termination, and employment benefits. This policy expressly prohibits harassment and discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin, individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected veteran status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with the provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws, including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.