Texas Children in Nature Network seeks Gulf Coast Health and Nature Liaison
Job Title: Health and Nature Liaison
Location: Combination of remote and in-office work in one of the following metro areas of Texas
• Gulf Coast Region
Hours: 35-40 hours per week
Contract 1099 employee
Initial Term: approx. 6/1/2023 through 5/30/2024
Pay Rate: $57,00 to $59,000 annually
Texas Children in Nature Network is looking for three contract “health and nature liaisons” to engage communities to create more equitable access and connection to nature to improve health outcomes. They will report to TCiNN’s Executive Director and collaborate with TCiNN’s Regional Leaders and partner organizations.
Texas Children in Nature Network (TCiNN) is working to ensure equitable access and connection to nature for all children in Texas. We are a large network of organizations across Texas that includes educators, health care providers, nature, and conservation professionals to get more kids out into nature more often. This position will help build capacity in Texas and help TCiNN achieve the goals of its 2021 – 2024 strategic plan.
This program is part of a federal grant from the CDC to address health disparities in Texas. Through the grant TCiNN will collaborate with the Texas Department of State Health Services, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, and AgriLife as well as other local health agencies to address health inequities in Texas communities by increasing their access to nature.
There is a significant body of evidence that children who spend time in nature each week enjoy significant physical, emotional and cognitive benefits. TCiNN will direct the work of three Community Health and Nature Liaisons to engage community leaders, along with TCiNN Partners, to identify and address the barriers to participating in outdoor play and learning.
The Health and Nature Liaison will be responsible for promoting the health benefits of time outside with local health departments, school administrators and teachers, and community members. They will identify community leaders and build partnerships and alliances to elevate the use of time in nature as a health strategy.
Health and Nature Liaison Responsibilities:
• Work with state Health and Nature partners to identify communities most impacted by public health concerns, including COVID-19, and engage with the community members to explore and document why their community was so impacted
• Collaborate with TCiNN Regional Leaders and community members to identify core barriers to access and connection to nature and seek solutions to eliminate those barriers
• Promote the value of time in nature to local health departments and community members and promote the use of Park Prescriptions by local health professionals
• Support Regional Collaborative members and help lead their regular meetings with regular updates on health and nature initiatives
• Attend monthly meetings with Health and Nature partnership members
• Produce resources for partners regarding health and nature equity, including best practices that can be replicated across the state
• Maintain a social media presence for their regional areas of work, including sharing health and nature-based content and messaging, and opportunities for communities to engage in nature near them
• Prepare reports on services and programs
• Detailed project schedule, project task tracking, core team meeting summaries
• Initiative action plan
• Evidence of new/additional nature engagement with communities experiencing health inequities
• Demonstrable success at influencing local health leaders towards a willingness to use time in nature as a public health strategy
• Present at conferences about the impact of the Nature Liaisons in Texas
• Sharing of partner resources
• Creation of a partner directory of individuals and organizations working to engage children and families in nature and promote nature as a public health strategy
• Creation of reports for grant making agencies
Health and Nature Liaison Skills and Qualifications:
• Administrative and promotional writing skills
• Proficient with Google Suite products
• Comfortable use of Zoom or similar program
• Strong organizational skills
• Experience with problem solving
• Self-directed and takes initiative
• Comfortable and familiar with social media and web maintenance on a platform similar to Squarespace,
• Experience in in public speaking
• Ability to manage multiple projects
• Experience with Community Organization
Education and Experience Requirements
• High School diploma or GED
• Familiarity with the community where they work
• Experience facilitating meetings
• Knowledge of children in nature issues and movement Expenses
• TCiNN will provide a monthly stipend of $100 for technology connectivity
• TCiNN will provide up to $1000 through the length of the contract for needed technology equipment such as computer, printer, etc.
To apply email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org