nstitute Overview: This 6-day (15 hour) online institute will focus on Education for Sustainability: an interdisciplinary learning lens for integrating the Big Ideas of Sustainability into your curriculum, campus and community.
Audience: K-12 Teachers, Administrators, Non-formal Educators
Full Group Virtual Learning and Facilitated Lesson Planning: Participant assignments are connected to project- and place-based learning; exploring sustainability as a dynamic system characterized by the interconnectedness of environment, equity and economy; identifying the skills, knowledge and values/attitudes that promote health and well-being of current and future generations.
- Environmental Justice: Dr. Bertie Simmons, life-long dedicated educator in the Houston Independent School District. Her career included experiences as a teacher, elementary school principal, assistant superintendent, district superintendent, and high school principal. This highly sought public speaker has received many professional awards that include HEB’s Best High School Principal in Texas award and KHOU’s Spirit of Texas award.
- MIndfulness / Social Emotional Learning: Special Guest Speaker Susan Kaiser Greenland
- Systems Thinking, COVID-19 and Sustainable Communities: Special Guests TBA!
- Gain knowledge of educating for sustainability from a community of learners and field experts
- Redesign a lesson, unit or project implementation planner with the integration of the Big Ideas of Sustainability
- Engage with various digital platforms to leverage student interactions for remote learning
- Help students understand the causes and consequences of social equity through the lens of environmental justice
- Explore a systems thinking approach to understanding the impact of COVID-19
Daily activities, coaching, and lesson planning toolkit accessible through the CELF Summer Institute Google Site
- Defining Sustainability: Thinking about how sustainability has changed and what it means to you now.
- Connecting the Big Ideas of Sustainability to your teaching practices and classroom/virtual lessons
- CELF-facilitated lesson planning work time