Buffalo Bayou Partnership seeks Community Engagement Manager
Job Title: Community Engagement Manager
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Vice President of External Affairs
Buffalo Bayou Partnership
Established in 1986, Buffalo Bayou Partnership (BBP) creates and stewards welcoming parks, trails and unique spaces, connecting Houstonians with the city’s most significant natural waterway. The non-profit organization’s geographic focus is the 10-mile stretch of the bayou that flows from Shepherd Drive, through the heart of downtown, into the East End, and on to the Port of Houston Turning Basin. BBP has implemented more than $250 million in improvements for the redevelopment and stewardship of the waterfront – spearheading projects such as Buffalo Bayou Park, protecting land for future parks, constructing hike and bike trails, and operating comprehensive cleanup and maintenance programs. BBP also activates the waterway through pedestrian, boating and biking amenities, volunteer activities, public art, and wide-ranging tours and programs.
Buffalo Bayou East
With a catalyst grant from the Kinder Foundation, BBP is overseeing a $310 million investment along Buffalo Bayou’s eastern sector — one of Houston’s most ambitious park projects ever. Over the next 10 years, guided by the Buffalo Bayou East Master Plan, BBP, the City of Houston and Harris County will deliver key parks, recreational and cultural destinations, affordable housing, and infrastructure improvements into the Greater East End and Fifth Ward neighborhoods.
The Community Engagement Manager will serve as the point person for community affairs for BBP, with a special focus on East End and Fifth Ward neighborhoods. The person will work with the organization’s Vice President of External Affairs and President on a comprehensive strategy for community engagement that establishes long-term, mutually beneficial relationships and partnerships with residents and community stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develops and implements a comprehensive strategy for community engagement that addresses diverse populations throughout BBP’s jurisdiction (from Shepherd Drive to the Port of Houston Turning Basin), with special emphasis on the East End and Fifth Ward neighborhoods.
• Ensures community members have a voice in all BBP programs and initiatives
• Enhances the visibility of BBP projects and programs throughout the community
• Builds and maintains trusting relationships with a wide variety of community stakeholders, including but not limited to neighborhood residents, civic clubs, Super Neighborhood groups, cultural organizations, social service agencies, and businesses
• Secures input from the community about BBP programs and projects and communicates this information to BBP colleagues in order that the organization’s work reflects the community’s needs and desires
• Responds to community inquiries and concerns
• Coordinates the BBP East End and Fifth Ward Neighborhood Ambassadors and forms and maintains additional committees and task forces as needed
• Distributes BBP marketing materials to promote BBP community meetings, programs, etc.
• Coordinates volunteer activities to build stewardship of BBP’s parks and trails
• Maintains up-to-date databases of community groups and vendors
• Serves on BBP’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility (DEIA) Committee
• Strong relationship builder who can gain the trust, respect and credibility within the community
• Extensive experience in community outreach, organizing, and engagement (three years minimum), preferably in Houston
• Familiarity with East End and Fifth Ward neighborhoods a plus
• Bi-lingual: Must speak, read and write effectively in Spanish and English
• Strong communication skills to effectively partner and collaborate with community groups
• Demonstrated resourcefulness, initiative, and ability to work well with diverse populations
• Willingness to work outside of regular business hours on nights and weekends
• Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Salary and Benefits
BBP offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email or mail to:
Buffalo Bayou Partnership
1019 Commerce Street, Suite 200
Houston, Texas 77002
No phone calls please