The Coalition for Environment, Equity and Resilience (CEER) is seeking a full-time Coalition Director. Reporting to the Coalition Steering Committee, the Coalition Director will provide overall leadership on all aspects of the CEER’s organizational activities; managing a team focused on implementing adopted campaigns and ensuring the viability and success of the organization as well engaging effectively with Coalition members to advance the CEER’s 8-point plan.
In the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, local organizations and leaders concerned with the environmental and human impacts of the storm came together to identify a set of priorities for the Gulf Region. These priorities, focused on raising awareness of the connection between pollution, place and public health, evolved into the CEER 8-point plan.
Over the past 3 years, CEER has become a collaborative of 28 organizations committed to advancing efforts to create a region that is equitable, environmentally sustainable and economically strong where residents have the opportunity to live, work, learn, play and free from environmental hazards. We collectively advocate for investments in protecting our communities, cleaning up contamination to air, water and land, and preventing flooding. CEER engages in campaigns focused on equitable recovery efforts, equitable flood protection, and developing leadership and capacity of neighborhood leaders.
The Coalition Director will provide overall leadership on all aspects of the CEER’s organizational activities; managing a team focused on implementing adopted campaigns and ensuring the viability and success of the organization as well engaging effectively with Coalition members to advance the 8 point plan.
A successful candidate will possess many/most of the following characteristics:
• Passion and commitment to the CEER 8 point plan
• Will encourage and develop effective and meaningful engagement of Coalition members,
stakeholders and staff
• Enthusiasm for the unique nature and opportunities of smaller, nascent non-profit organizations
• Understands the environmental and social justice landscapes in Houston and Texas
• Understands the relevant policy and political landscapes that influence this work
• Understands the unique nature of building and growing coalitions/networks; unifying
stakeholders and partners around a vision
• Be committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within the organization and the
• Has experience working to develop and support grassroots campaigns, community
• Has experience developing and cultivating critical partnerships with funders, partners and
• Setting organizational goals and using data and outcomes to refine and improve the work
• Has a commitment to supporting the positive growth and well-being of team members in a
productive and positive work environment
• Comfortable making challenging decisions and finding productive resolution in ambiguous
• Brings a level of creativity, innovation and forward-thinking to the work
• Experience working directly with a board of directors, steering committee, or other accountability agent
• Has experience and comfort with organizational growth and change; recognizing that CEER will continue to define and refine its efforts and processes in the months and years to come
Organizational Development and Sustainability
• Be accountable for the day-to-day operations of CEER through strong operational support and leadership; overseeing staff and systems to support the organization
• Work with Coalition members to develop and implement a multi-year strategic plan
• Sustain current and develop new funding sources that are aligned with and support the CEER
mission and serve as an effective steward of the investments made in CEER with the help of an outside fundraising consultant
• Develop and monitor an annual budget
• Engage and communicate with Coalition members in meaningful, productive ways that promote active involvement, connection and alignment
• Identify and develop strategic partnerships and relationships with key individuals and
organizations that have a close alignment to the CEER agenda
• Engage and seek the support of the Coalition steering committee
Leadership and Vision
• Work with CEER staff and Coalition members to define, implement and refine the overarching
strategy for the organization; using data, feedback and other outcomes data to inform impact
• Continue to prioritize and implement aligned campaign and outreach strategies in cooperation
with Coalition members
• Facilitate engagement with Coalition members and committees to identify opportunities and
challenges as well as strategies to advance the work
• Build, maintain and share knowledge about community and national issues and trends that
impact CEER’s work
• Support an organizational culture that promotes and intentionally supports people, effectiveness and growth/learning
• Direct policy development and positions for the Coalition to advance or respond to the ever-
evolving local ordinance and legislative shifts
• Identify opportunities to influence and strengthen relevant policies and plans to further the
coalition’s 8-point plan
Communication and Outreach
• Facilitate the implementation of a communications plan with member organizations and internal
staff/consultants; including efforts related to PR, marketing, outreach etc.
• Work with Coalition members to develop shared materials (e.g. talking points and action alerts)
and conduct small-scale organizing with member organizations as needed.
• Represent and serve as spokesperson for the Coalition to the general public and non-profit
community and provide leadership and a convening role.
• 5+ years of relevant leadership experience
• College or advanced degree in relevant area; or directly relevant life and professional experiences lending a comparable understanding and skill set
• CEER is particularly interested in encouraging applications from an individual from an under-
Salary and Benefits
The salary band for this role begins at $120,000; final salary offer is commensurate with experience. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, wellness benefits, professional development stipend, and mobile phone reimbursement. CEER has an expressed commitment to wellness and balance.
Qualified and interested candidates are invited to apply for this role by completing the following steps and sending ONE email to the following address: email@example.com
- Attach a current resume.
- Either in the body of the email or as a separate attachment, include a cover letter.
- Include a list of three references who can speak to your work, experience and/or qualifications
for this role. Please include a phone or email address for each person.
- Attach ONE Word Document with responses to the following questions. We are interested to
hear your thoughts and learn more about your experience. Please include only as much as you
feel is relevant and helpful to respond to the questions.
. Which 1-2 element(s) of the CEER 8-point plan most resonate with you and align to your
current work and areas of expertise?
a. Describe work you have done to develop or enhance the collaborative efforts and impact
of a coalition, network or other group of agents to promote focused impact and
alignment behind a shared vision.
b. What current local (Houston, regional or statewide) issue do you see as being a possible
opportunity or challenge for CEER’s core work?
The Coalition for Environmental Equity and Resilience is a program of Healthy Gulf, which serves as its fiscal agent. CEER is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. CEER is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, and innovation.