Harris County Precinct 3 is seeking a Park Interpreter for the Kleb Wood Nature Center and Historic Farm and Cypress Top Historic Park in Cypress, Texas.
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION: Under the direction of the Park Manager this position is responsible for interpretation and preservation of Precinct 3 Parks as assigned. This position assists with daily operations, maintenance, repair, cultural and natural resource interpretation, presentation of educational programs, and routine customer service.
Duties include housekeeping and minor repair and maintenance of buildings and grounds, especially as it applies to display and interpretive areas. Assists with visitor registration. Conducts tours and programs, and assists with development of exhibits and interpretive programming. Provides direction to volunteers, interns, and alternative
workforce. Performs additional duties as assigned. Complies with all Agency, Division, and Branch rules, regulations, and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS: (1) Public use facility open seven days per week; (2) Required to work hours other than 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with days off other than Saturday, Sunday, and holidays; (3) Required to work flexible schedules as needed; (4) Required to perform duties outdoors and work in all types of weather as well as in non-climate controlled buildings; (5) Non-smoking environment in County buildings and vehicles; (6) Required to adjust to changing schedules.
- Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree.
- Preferred Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Biology, Ecology, Wildlife Science or other field biology related degree, History, Cultural Resource Conservation, Anthropology, Archeology or closely related field.
- Experience: Some experience in interpretation or education, such as a summer intern or volunteer in a museum, nature center, park, historic site or similar institution, or as a student teacher.
- License/Certifications: Must possess or be able to obtain, within thirty days of employment, a valid class “C” Texas driver’s license. NOTE: Retention of position is contingent on obtaining and maintaining required license.
- Knowledge of English, spelling, math, and writing skills;
- Knowledge of natural or cultural resource management and conservation principles;
- Knowledge of local flora and fauna, American and Texas History is important. Knowledge of the German language is a plus;
- Knowledge of interpretation/education programs and techniques such as living history, exhibit development, and special events;
- Knowledge to develop, implement, manage, publicize, and evaluate related interpretive programs;
- Knowledge of care and handling of educational animals, including snakes, birds, and other small vertebrates;
- Knowledge to properly catalog and maintain scientific collections, cultural artifacts and historic property;
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication with public, co-workers, and volunteers;
- Skill in using a personal computer in a Windows-based environment to include Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and Power Point. Familiarity with Photoshop a plus.
- Skill in developing and presenting accurate and creative guided tours and educational and interpretive programs to audiences of all ages;
- Skill to assist with various park duties such as maintenance, administration, or customer service duties on an as-needed basis;
- Highly skilled in the area of customer service and the ability to survey customers for program quality;
- Ability to perform manual labor, including lifting of supplies and materials, in accordance with agency safety program, work rules, and resource conservation principles;
- Skill to operate hand tools, power tools, chainsaws, and various other equipment;
- Ability to handle complaints, emergencies, and a high volume of people;
- Ability to make sound, independent judgments without continual supervision;
- Ability to coordinate the work of others, work with distractions, and handle multiple tasks effectively;
- Ability to work well with diverse groups and age ranges;
- Ability to work on multiple tasks as part of a flexible team with changing priorities;
- Ability to work with others as a team and promote professionalism in the workplace.
Submit resumes and professional references to Fred Collins, Director of Kleb Woods Nature Preserve and Historic Farm and Cypress Top Historic Park [email protected] A photocopy of your college transcript(s) from an accredited institution must be submitted with your resume. If hired, you will have to submit a certified copy of your transcript.