The Houston Green Film Series was launched in 2010 by a coalition of non-profit, grassroots, environmental organizations. The purpose of this series is to bring awareness to the environmental crisis through the visual arts by presenting films with an environmental focus to the Houston community.
The series includes the annual screening of the Wild & Scenic Film Festival on Tour, two nights of short, inspiring, environmental films, in January; an intro to telling your environmental story with film; and
Wild About Houston: A Green Film Festival featuring short, local, environmental films.
Regular screenings are typically held on the third Wednesday of each month at the Media Center at Rice University. In addition to showing an environmental film, a panel of experts is invited to lead a proactive discussion with the audience about the topic at hand.
- 6:30 PM conversation, networking, and a light meal
- 7:00 PM screening. Panel discussion after the screening
- Free to the public, though donations are kindly appreciated
- November 28, 2019: Living the Change, a documentary that explores solutions to the global crises we face today – solutions any one of us can be part of – through the inspiring stories of people pioneering change in their own lives and in their communities in order to live in a sustainable and regenerative way.
- December 2018: No film scheduled
- January 30 & 31, 2019: Wild & Scenic Film Festival On Tour
- February 20, 2019: How to Tell Your Environmental Story with Video and Film–An Introduction
- October 17, 2018: Wild About Houston–A Green Film Festival
- September 18, 2018: Dirt Rich, a documentary that explores our last strategy for reversing the effects of global warming by drawing carbon down and returning it to the soil.
- August 15, 2018: Rodents of Unusual Size, a documentary about invasive rodents that, with their orange teeth and voracious appetite, are eating up coastal wetlands.
- July 18, 2018: Straws
- June 20, 2018: Evolution of Organic
- May 16, 2018: Death by Design
- April 18, 2018: Disobedience
- March 21, 2018: Before the Flood
- November 15, 2017: Local Green Film Screening
- October, 27, 2017: Inconvenient Sequel
- October 18, 2017: Plastic Paradise – The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
- September 20, 2017: From the Ashes: A National Geographic Film
- July 19, 2017: Racing to Zero: In pursuit of zero waste
- June 21, 2017: Biophilic Design – The Architecture of Life
- May 17, 2017: The True Cost
- April 19, 2017: Anthropocene
- November, 16, 2016: Local Green Film Screening
- October 19, 2016: Project Wild Thing
- August 17, 2016: Planetary
- July 20, 2016: Bikes vs. Cars
- May 18, 2016: Water Blues Green Solutions
- April 20, 2016: Racing Extinction
- March 30, 2016: Katrina X
- February 17, 2016: Streetfilms with Director Clarence Eckerson
- January 20, 2016: Just Eat It: A food waste story
- December 16, 2015: Playlist for Change: a Climate Film Mash-up
- November, 18, 2015: Inhabit: A Permaculture Perspective
- October 21, 2015: Idle Threat
- September 16, 2015: The Human Scale
- March 18, 2015: TINY: A Story About Living Small
- February 18, 2015: Gasland II
- January 21, 2015: Short Films for Safe Streets