Please plant to attend Earth Day Houston on Sunday, April 22, 2018, from noon to 6 p.m. at Discovery Green! Hosted in partnership with the Citizens’ Environmental Coalition, Discovery Green’s citywide Earth Day celebration–presented by Green Mountain Energy–is designed to inspire, educate, and encourage action.
- Over eighty exhibitors and a foodie farmers market with dozens of vendors.
- Earth Talks: Short, engaging talks from local experts about compelling environmental issues. Speakers include Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, tropical disease expert Dr. Peter Hotez, plastic pollution youth advocates Caolin and Lila, sustainable design house Magpies & Peacocks, NASA, HARC’s Lisa Gonzalez, and more.
- Compost, recyclables, and trash: Volunteer recycling ambassadors will help visitors make wise disposal choices. While Earth Day Houston 2018 won’t be a zero-waste event, we are setting a baseline for future events by tracking and weighing all garbage destined for the landfill–and measuring waste being diverted for recycling and composting.
- Make a difference: You will be challenged to make commitments to protecting and improving our environment. And if doing good isn’t enough, we’ll have prizes.
- Acoustic music and pop-up activities–including live animal and plant demonstrations, story time, an electric car petting zoo, recycling superheroes, and functioning solar panels–throughout the day.
- Alternative transportation, including bike rides, a bike valet, and Metro passes will be available.
If you are interested in being a sponsor or corporate volunteering, please email [email protected]
Please mark your calendars for Earth Day Houston on Sunday, April 22, 2018, from noon to 6 pm at Discovery Green park! Hosted in partnership with the Citizens’ Environmental Coalition, Discovery Green’s citywide Earth Day celebration–presented by Green Mountain Energy–is designed to inspire, educate, and encourage action. The event features displays, exhibits and booths on topics ranging from alternative energy to recycling methods, a foodie farmers market, Canned Acoustica, recycling, and more.
The Citizens’ Environmental Coalition is currently accepting applications for exhibitors for the Earth Day festival and nominations for speakers for Earth Talks on the big stage. If you are interested in being a sponsor or corporate volunteering, please email [email protected]
For more information, visit earthdayhouston.org.
Title: 2012 Adopt-a-Beach-Event
Location: Scenic Galveston’s Preserves
Description: What? SCENIC GALVESTON’s 24th AAB-E cleaning participation! Saturday
April 28, let’s do it again! Thanks to you who have stepped “through and into the Tide” for
years to clean tons of debris and invasive species from SG’s preserves.
Registration required between 8 and 9 – into the field from 9 to 12. Teams return by 12:30 to
the Pavillion for custom lunches, RSVP required, with update on SG’s habitat conservation
work, site reports, and the day’s bird observation count. Team efforts produce an invigorating
day in spectacular scenic marshes and prairies, and on two bay shorelines!
Where? Take Exit 6 off I-45 just south of Bayou Vista to service road, then 1st right to park in
SG’s Reitan Point event site with its landmark Pavillion in the John M. O’Quinn I-45 Scenic
Estuarial Corridor’s West Marsh. No parking in ROW. Shuttles take teams to cleaning sites in
the I-45 Corridor Preserve or Virginia Point Peninsula Preserve. Briefing gives volunteers
their choice of various sites—“hard-to-easy” wetlands, to bay shores or prairies.
Dress? Jeans for protection, caps/hats, sunglasses, lace tennis (or mud boots) as some
must cross channels to work in wetlands – no flip flops allowed. Cameras/binoculars urged
for scenery and birds. After lunch breakdown, volunteers invited to view magnificent
marshes, kayak, canoe, “bird”, fish, and photograph until sunset.
Supplies? SG provides restrooms, washing facilities, water bottles, litter bags, gloves,
repellent, suntan lotion, midmorning fruit, cold drinks with lunch, souvenirs and tons of fun.
Join SG! Enjoy conservation work and the splendid outdoors in “your parklands” every day!
RSVP attendance – 979-234-2096 or 409-789-4996, [email protected]
Start Time: 08:00