Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive.
Audubon seeks a dynamic Executive Director to build on Audubon Texas’ (ATX) rich history and expand its contributions to conservation in Texas and throughout the entire Central Flyway, leading the organization to its next level of programmatic and financial success. The Executive Director will be the chief executive officer for Audubon Texas and will exercise broad leadership and management responsibility in developing statewide conservation policy, initiatives, and public programming. The Director will also work with senior management in exploring opportunities and the feasibility of expanding ATX’s leadership in Audubon’s Gulf Coast and North American Grasslands work, as well as emerging opportunities addressing water issues in Texas. The successful candidate will have the passion and leadership skills necessary to articulate, develop, and implement Audubon’s conservation goals and strategies in the state, all while working closely with the Audubon Texas Board of Directors and staff, and Audubon’s key national conservation leaders to continue to develop the state program in tandem with strategic regional and national priorities. The Executive Director will hold the title of Vice President within the national organization and will report directly to the Central Flyway Vice President.
Some Essential Functions of this Position Include:
Strategy Development and Organizational Leadership
- Aligned with Audubon’s overall conservation goals and strategies, develop strategic goals and initiatives that result in the organization’s increased statewide capacity to achieve the conservation of priority birds and their habitats. Priorities include coastal habitat, prairie and grassland, and watershed conservation; Important Bird Areas, urban conservation and community outreach and education. In conjunction with senior management explore opportunities and the feasibility of expanding ATX’s leadership along the Gulf Coast and in the Central Flyway.
- Provide leadership, management, and mentoring to staff.
- Focus resources on the most critical, high-leverage projects and strategies, including policy development and public engagement. Leverage the impact of Audubon Texas’s Centers and Sanctuaries to achieve state and Flyway goals.
Fundraising and External Relations
- Represent Audubon Texas throughout the state and raise its profile and visibility to funders, partners, policymakers, and the public.
- Along with appropriate development staff, lead Audubon Texas’s fundraising to cultivate and solicit major donors, foundations, corporations and government agencies for Audubon Texas and to significantly increase contributions. Play an active role in helping to promote fundraising for regional priority projects across the Central Flyway working with other state directors, the program managers and other supporting staff.
Qualifications And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, business, conservation or related field required; advanced degree strongly preferred.
- 7-10 years’ progressive professional experience, to include 3-5 years at a senior management level with comparable staff and budget responsibilities.
- Strong leadership skills, with an entrepreneurial spirit and strong business and management skills; demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate staff, volunteers, donors, and potential partners a must.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, in particular extensive experience with major donors, foundations, corporations, and government funders.
For more information on Audubon Texas or the position they are seeking to fill, please read the full description and apply here.